Monday, August 11, 2014

Repurposed Child's Table


Our community has quite the active little sustainability experiment going on.  The Buy Nothing Project (Google it and check to see if there is a chapter in your area) is large and active here on the Key Peninsula.  As you know, I am a big supporter of keeping it local and using bartering as a means to people equitable trading resources and needs. 

I have given countless items, many times at the Junk in the Trunk/Bread Day event that happens weekly (though not an official Buy Nothing event), but also at other times. I have shared things I would have likely ended up tossing because Free-cycle is too hard.   I have gotten many needs and wants met as well, including--but not limited to-- art paper and clay for Bear, plants for the yard, clothing for Bear, clothing for myself, trays for animal feed, and did I mention toilet paper rolls?

A recent acquisition at JitT was a child's size table.  No one else was wanting it and the fellow JitT'er was loading up to go home and I asked her what her plans were for this table.....  she said it was mine if I wanted it.  SCORE!  I knew exactly what I would be able to use the table for. 


Thus a Literacy Table was born!

A Literacy Table for when I go to booths and some parties!  Yes, something for children color, draw, and enjoy, while encouraging a love for books and learning! 

The supplies I needed I had on hand.  This table cost me NOTHING but time!  And it will give back to my community in so many ways!  I am excited to put this to use!

Needed Supplies:
  • Table
  • Painters Tape
  • Chalk Board Paint (I had bought some last year for a project and never did it, so I used it for this instead)
  • Chalk
  • Chalk Board eraser or old soft cloth
  • A warm day 




And the proof of its enjoyability and appeal to the youngest among us is apparent....  Bear quickly placed her mark on the little table.  

 

 and that is the goal right there, for children to read books and find that one book that captures their heart and their imagination! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to share your comments with me. It means a lot. Thank you!