Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Real food journey

What a great week we are having.  Seriously.

I haven't bought pop in over a week.  Yeah kind of craving that, but living through it.  Now I am cutting down on coffee stand purchases!  Oh boy....

I cooked a turkey over new years and boiled the bones for broth.  From that broth I made two additional full meals and several quick grab meals that can be put in the freezer.

I decided to make completely 100% homemade soup again, and this time really let the spices and herbs simmer.  And I did....  I think the broth for the soup simmered for a good six hours before I  began to add vegetables and I let that cook an additional two hours in the crock pot before I added the noodles.  I still need to work on how many noodles I add.  I tend to like a more brothie soup with less noodles, but many people love a full thick and chunky soup with a hearty amount of noodles.  For just me I would have added a much smaller amount.  Trial and error, as we explore real food.

With the soup I served homemade biscuits which I slathered in a garlic butter I made.  OH YUM!  So delicious.  We are garlic lovers though.




Kim's Egg Noodles

My noodles are really simple and do not require a pre-dry period.  I use a pasta roller (manual) and the recipe is unbleached white or wheat flour (I used unbleached white this day).  I generally get two healthy cups of flour, two eggs, water, and salt and pepper.  I placed the flour on my board and make a well for the eggs, water, seasoning mixture.  I then get a small bowl and put the eggs in it, water (this can vary depending on how much flour--so adjust as needed) with the salt and pepper and whip the liquid.  I then place it in the "well" in the mound of flour and mix together. 

I make sure my rollers on the machine are lightly floured and commence the stretching of the dough and once that is complete (according to instructions and desired thickness) I run the strength dough through the noodle cutter and immediately place the noodles into the bubbling broth.  Separate the noodles as you are putting them in the broth.  Enjoy.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to share your comments with me. It means a lot. Thank you!