Wednesday, September 7, 2011

in a second....

How often do we find we say that?  Or maybe you say, "just a minute."  Regardless we sometimes get so wrapped up in what we "need' to do that we forget those little voices and small hands grow up much to soon.  I know I am not alone in using those words, I hear them all around me.  Those hold on a sec, later we can, etc's just seem to float unconsciously from us as we go on with our busy lives.  What if later never happens?  We lose out on some wonderful opportunities, not just for learning but also for bonding with those wee babes that hold our heartstrings. 

Monday we begin our more formal lessons.  Still working on the particulars.  Though we are much more relaxed that I thought we would be 4 months ago.  We have goals and we will work toward those goals.  This year we are doing Pre K and K stuff.  Next year if we aren't ready for Grade 1 work we will review K stuff, no worries.

2011 Learning Goals

Alphabet recognition and writing letters
Nature Play and Learning
Simple math and counting to 30
Art enjoyment
Together reading time
Character building (sharing, listening, following directions...)

I feel like we should do more but I also know I want to encourage a love of learning and she is only 4 after all.

We have a facebook page now.  If you are on facebook, join our page for little tidbits and funny stories and questions.  Garden Tenders on Facebook.



Happy Tending!

Outside my window... Summer has arrived and it's September!
 
I am thinking... Are we really starting swimming lesson tonight?

I am thankful for... quiet time... when it happens

I am remembering... I have a ton of things to do!

I am going... to be watching my baby in the water with out me soon!  UGH!

I am currently reading...the future of human resource management

I am hoping... to plan a trip to Vashon Island for some exploration fun soon!

On my mind... not much right this second, to tired

Noticing that... the house stays clean for only 2 seconds.  i still have things to unpack from a recent trip to Oregon.

Pondering these thoughts...  keeping the imagination alive and the wildness intact but harnessing it in to be used for good.

From the kitchen... green beans

Around the house...Music for kiddos

One of my favorite things…warm Autumn days and cool nights.  Crisp mornings and fresh picked apples.....

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Kim! I am just now trying to figure out how to teach above 10, the teens, 100s, 1000s. I have some manipulatives that demo it but no instruction. I've been perusing the Montessori approach at http://www.infomontessori.com/mathematics/introduction.htm. I still am learning. Do you know how you'll approach it? I'd love to get some tips :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The way I am thinking right now is that we will do it as part of sorting and counting. showing what 10 looks like and how 10 singles make a unit, sort of thing. But I don't know that we will get to that concept until maybe early winter or even spring. I know you can buy the rods etc that help to demostrate it, but I haven't invested in them yet. For numbers I am going to do sandpaper for one just like with the alphabet. Hoping to somehow use our flannel board too to help with it. I seen one idea that used felt apple trees where the children could put the correct number of red apples on the felt tree....

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to share your comments with me. It means a lot. Thank you!