Sunday, September 18, 2011

A Homeschool Meme..... From her, to me, to you....

Another homeschooling mom over at Our Learning Journey tagged me in this post.  I have obligged and answered the questions, with some difficulty I might add.  I feel very under prepared but have enjoyed seeing some of the other answers. 

1. One homeschooling book you have enjoyed:

ANS: There isn’t just one book or one source; though I have to say all the homeschooling parents I have talked with have been an inspiration. I am very glad to have found the Charlotte Mason Method and while I may not adhere to it strictly or completely it has encouraged me to let loose and let my child be and not push formal education at this point. I use Ambleside on Line as one source, for ideas etc. I also read several blogs. For me with being a full time student as well as homeschooling it takes me a while to push through a book. I really use just about everything for ideas to come to one full idea. I do like The Early Years A Charlotte Mason Preschool Handbook by Sonya Shafer and Karen Smith., and I have the 6 volume set of Charlotte Mason books, but I have yet to tackle them.

2. One resource you wouldn't be without:

ANS: besides the Bible? The internet, but without that it would be a network of other homeschoolers. Even if they teach differently or have different ideas about what should be taught and when, I gain knowledge and understanding. Sometimes it further cements what I believe is our education goals for our daughter, other times I see a new way of thinking about something, and this all serves to enhance our education experience.

3. One resource you wish you had never bought:

ANS:  The Baby Einstein DVD's, 2 boxed sets. She never really had any interest in them and they remained virtually unopened until I resold them on Amazon this year.

4. One resource you enjoyed last year:

ANS:  My small group of other homeschool mom’s. We have a Learn Through Play Group that meets weekly. It’s more about the children playing and us mom’s connecting. We want our children to know others that are homeschooled as well, in this day where all their friends are going to a brick and mortar school.

5. One resource you will be using next year:

ANS: I am assuming you mean for the 2011-2012 school year? I am using the list of books from Ambleside On-line for starters. However I am also using some worksheets because my daughter has a strong desire to do what I do, homework.  We plan to use our nature journal, pattern blocks, flannel board and sensory bins extensively as well as our kitchen. What better way to learn about counting and adding and subtracting then to help me cook and bake? We also will be practicing our letters and retelling stories. Some of the stories on the shelf for this year are: Winnie the Pooh, When we were very young, Raggedy Ann Stories, The Children's Book of Virtues, God's Wisdom for Little Girls: Virtues and Fun from Proverbs 31, The Read and Share Bible, My ABC Bible Verses: Hiding God's Word in Little Hearts, The Light and the Glory for Children : Discovering God's Plan for America from Christopher Columbus to George Washington –for a introduction to history, and more to come….  When we get our space done we plan to make a hungry catapilar to with each title of the books we read making a portion of the catapilers body.

As a mother it’s my duty to “…sow opportunities, and then to keep in the background, ready with a guiding or restraining hand only when these are badly wanted” (CM V 1). I believe we are to guide at this age. Will we feel that way next year, maybe not, but education is about growth and going forward.

6. One resource you would like to buy:

ANS: Right now no. I would like to find a German language program though. My husband was born in Germany and our daughter is a 1st generation American on his side so I think it would be very nice if she could learn her father’s native tongue.

I am looking at a program called Zoo Phonics. Sarah is showing a greater and greater interest in reading daily.  While it's not on my agenda to teach this year, it may well be on hers.  We shall see how that pans out.

7. One resource you wish existed:

ANS: A washer and drier that folded and put the laundry away. Also if it ironed that would be a big plus too.

8. One homeschool catalog you enjoy reading:

ANS: Are there catalogs, actual catalogs out there? I thought everything was on-line. I spend a lot of time looking at things which I know will appeal to my daughter and work within our family.

9. One homeschool website you use regularly:

ANS: Facebook….. wait you mean for homeschooling? :-) 1+1+1=1 and several blogs I read and enjoy (check out my blog links here and my pinterest page here ).  They really are too numerous to mention. 

10. Tag other homeschoolers:

Mommy's Place
Our Learning Journey
Homeschool Distrations
Our Creative Day
A Glimpse into my life

Happy  Tending!


1 comment:

  1. Kim, if you find that washer and dryer, PLEASE let me know :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to share your comments with me. It means a lot. Thank you!