Saturday, December 27, 2014

Life on the farm

It has been so long since I last posted.  We have done so much, so much has happened, and so much has gone on....  Sitting down and writing has been the last thing on my mind most days.  Oh its been on my mind, but only when I have been in bed and wondering if I should get up and grab a computer and take "pen to paper" so to speak.

I am here now and I am going to try to keep up to speed better. 

So much has happened this fall, not one but TWO trees have fallen and taken out portions of the hen house or chicken run.  We are still repairing the chicken run but slower going on it, mostly the weather is causing that, but  I am also needing to clear some brush as well.  Just today we moved an old utility trailer frame away and next we will work more on taking out the trunk of the tree that fell.  A couple of hours in the wet and or cold is all that can be done this time of year.  



Did I mention we ended up with more chickens?  In early September we added more to our flock so we currently have twenty-one chickens.  I suspect one might be a rooster from the new batch.  No, twenty-one chickens are not enough for me.  :-)  I am a crazy chicken lady and I would like to get six more, specifically 6 more Americana's and two more geese and possible 2-4 turkeys.  If I get the six more birds/hens I think that will give a good flock for a couple years.  I also want to get a dozen or so birds for eating, we eat a lot of chicken.


Here are the girls and geese enjoying a fresh snack of shredded carrots,  lettuce, and a little cabbage one afternoon.  I try to make sure, even though they free range a lot, to still give them a varied diet.  I want happy birds.  I have recently started fermenting their chicken feed as well.  So far a  week into it and I would say its been a hit.  

So here I am tending my garden one day at a time.  Sometimes one day at a time is all I can muster and thank goodness that is all we are expected to do!  God doesn't command that we worry about the tomorrows. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to share your comments with me. It means a lot. Thank you!